We use Puppet to manage the cassandra.yaml in a different location from the
installation.   Ours is in /etc/cassandra/cassandra.yaml

You can set the environment CASSANDRA_CONF (i believe it is.  check the
cassandra.in.sh)  and the startup script will pick up this as the configuration
file to use.

With Puppet you can manage the list of seeds, set the IP addresses, etc
dynamically.   I even use it to set the initial tokens.  It makes life a lot
easier.