Hi -

Our cluster is spread between 2 datacenters.   We have a straight-forward IP
assignment so that OldNetworkTopology (rackinferring snitch) works well.    We
have cassandra clients written in Hector in each of those data centers.   The
Hector clients all have a list of all cassandra nodes across both data centers.
 RF=3.

Is there an order as to which data center gets the first write?    In other
words, would (or can) the Hector client do its first write to the cassandra
nodes in its own data center?

It would be ideal it Hector chose the "local" cassandra nodes.  That way, if
one data center is unreachable, the Quorum of replicas in cassandra is still
reached (because it was written to the working data center first).

Otherwise, if the cassandra writes are really random from the Hector client
point-of-view, a data center outage would result in a read failure for any data
that has 2 replicas in the lost data center.

Is anyone doing this?  Is there a flaw in my logic?