Hey All,
I've noticed that the Cassandra instance I have running on our build machine
occasionally crashes with an OOM error during compaction. I'm going to dial
down the memtable thresholds etc but I was wondering if anyone could help
explain the heap usage at the time of the crash. I just happened to leave a JMX
console window open and it's showing that just before the crash roughly 50% of
the heap was still available.

Screenshot of heap usage: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2822/memoryf.png

The above screenshot was taken a few weeks ago on Cassandra 0.7.2 (I think)
with nmap disabled on Java 1.6.0_24-b07. I'm now running 0.7.4 with nmap
enabled and just got the same crash (based on the error message in the log)...

Log snippet from crash that matches screenshot: http://pastebin.com/ACa8fKUu
Log snippet from 0.7.4 crash: http://pastebin.com/SwSQawUM

Cheers,
--