I'm a bit confused by the two different cases you described, so cannot comment
specially on your case.

In general if Cassandra is slowing down take a look at the thread pool stats,
using nodetool tpstats to see where it is backing up and take at look at the
logs to check for excessive GC. If node stats shows the read or mutation stage
backing up, check the iostats.

Hope that helps.
Aaron