Just some very tiny amount of writes in the background here (some hints
spooled up on another node slowly coming in).
No new data.

I thought there was no exceptions, but I did not look far enough back in the
log at first.

Going back a bit further now however, I see that about 50 hours ago:
ERROR [CompactionExecutor:387] 2011-05-02 01:16:01,027
AbstractCassandraDaemon.java (line 112) Fatal exception in thread
Thread[CompactionExecutor:387,1,main]
java.io.IOException: No space left on device
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.writeBytes(Native Method)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.write(RandomAccessFile.java:466)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.BufferedRandomAccessFile.flush(BufferedRandomAccessFile.java:160)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.BufferedRandomAccessFile.reBuffer(BufferedRandomAccessFile.java:225)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.BufferedRandomAccessFile.writeAtMost(BufferedRandomAccessFile.java:356)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.util.BufferedRandomAccessFile.write(BufferedRandomAccessFile.java:335)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.PrecompactedRow.write(PrecompactedRow.java:102)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableWriter.append(SSTableWriter.java:130)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.CompactionManager.doCompaction(CompactionManager.java:566)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.CompactionManager$1.call(CompactionManager.java:146)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.CompactionManager$1.call(CompactionManager.java:112)
        at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
[followed by a few more of those...]

and then a bunch of these:
ERROR [FlushWriter:123] 2011-05-02 01:21:12,690 AbstractCassandraDaemon.java
(line 112) Fatal exception in thread Thread[FlushWriter:123,5,main]
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Insufficient disk
space to flush 40009184 bytes
        at
org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:34)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Insufficient disk space to flush
40009184 bytes
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.getFlushPath(ColumnFamilyStore.java:597)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.createFlushWriter(ColumnFamilyStore.java:2100)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable.writeSortedContents(Memtable.java:239)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable.access$400(Memtable.java:50)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable$3.runMayThrow(Memtable.java:263)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:30)
        ... 3 more

Seems like compactions stopped after this (a bunch of tmp tables there still
from when those errors where generated), and I can only suspect the post
flusher may have stopped at the same time.

There is 890GB of disk for data, sstables are currently using 604G (139GB is
old tmp tables from when it ran out of disk) and "ring" tells me the load on
the node is 313GB.

Terje