On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Terje Marthinussen
<tmarthinus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an all ssd system. I have no problems with read/write performance
> due to I/O.
> I do have a potential with the crazy explosion you can get in terms of disk
> use if compaction cannot keep up.
>
> As things falls behind and you get many generations of data, yes, read
> performance gets a problem due to the number of sstables.
>
> As things start falling behind, you have a bunch of minor compactions trying
> to merge 20MB (sstables cassandra generally dumps with current config when
> under pressure) into 40 MB into 80MB into....

Everyone may be well aware of that, but I'll still remark that a minor
compaction
will try to merge "as many 20MB sstables as it can" up to the max compaction
threshold (which is configurable). So if you do accumulate some newly created
sstable at some point in time, the next minor compaction will take all of them
and thus not create a 40 MB sstable, then 80MB etc... Sure there will be more
step than with a major compaction, but let's keep in mind we don't
merge sstables
2 by 2.

I'm also not too much in favor of triggering major compactions,
because it mostly
have a nasty effect (create one huge sstable). Now maybe we could expose the
difference factor for which we'll consider sstables in the same bucket
(i.e, of similar
size). As a side note, I think that
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1610,
if done correctly, could help in such situation in that one could try
a strategy adapted
to it's work load.