You've had people on this list tell you you should upgrade off such an
old release at least twice already this month.

The reason we do this is, the odds are good that the answer is
"someone else ran into that problem a year ago and it got fixed."
Personally, I don't think it's worth the time to troubleshoot before
upgrading.

Re compaction and repair, you can read up on both at
http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/operations/scheduled_tasks.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra