On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Daniel Doubleday
<daniel.double...@gmx.net> wrote:
> We are performing the repair on one node only. Other nodes receive reasonable
> amounts of data (~500MB).  It's only the repairing node itself which
> 'explodes'.

That, for instance, is a bit weird. That the node on which the repair
is performed get more data is expected, since it is repair with all
it's "neighbor" while the neighbors themselves get repaired only
against that given node. But when differences between two A and B are
computed, the ranges to repair are streaming both from A to B and for
B to A. Unless A and B are widely out of sync (like A has no data and
B has tons of it), around the same amount of data should transit in
both way. So with RF=3, the node on with repair was started should get
around 4 times (up to 6 times if you have weird topology) as much data
than any neighboring node, but that's is. While if I'm correct, you
are reporting that the neighboring node gets ~500MB and the
"coordinator" gets > 700GB ?!
Honestly I'm not sure an imprecision of the merkle tree could account
for that behavior.

Anyway, Daniel, would you be able to share the logs of the nodes (at
least the node on which repair is started) ? I'm not sure how much
that could help but that cannot hurt.

--
Sylvain