Are you talking about minor (automatic) compactions ? Can you provide some more
information on what's happening to make the node unusable and what version you
are using? It's not lightweight process, but it should not hurt the node that
badly. It is considered an online operation.

Delaying compaction will only make it run for longer and take more resources.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton