All tests pass and everything compiles on a clean checkout of
hector-jpa for me.

I'm not sure how you got that error from hector-jpa, there is no
reference in that project to
me.prettyprint.hom.CassandraPersistenceProvider. Are you sure you
don't have a reference to hector-object-mapper (which is a completely
different codebase from jpa) somewhere in your configuration?
me.prettyprint.hom.CassandraPersistenceProvider was just removed in
hector src tree which why I'm suspicious.

I'm posting the initial reply here, but anything additional should
probably be confined to hector-users.