Performance-wise, I think it would be better to just let the client encrypt sensitive data before storing it, versus encrypting all traffic all the time. If individual values are encrypted, then they don't have to be encrypted/decrypted during transit between nodes during the initial updates as well as during the commissioning of a new node or other times.

A drawback, however, is now you have to manage one or more keys for the lifetime of the data. It will also complicate your data view interfaces. However, if Cassandra had data encryption built-in somehow, that would solve this problem... just thinking out loud.

Can anyone think of other pro/cons of both strategies?