Even if the gc call cleaned all files, it is not really acceptable on a
decent sized cluster due to the impact full gc has on performance.
Especially non-needed ones.

The delay in file deletion can also at times make it hard to see how much
spare disk you actually have.

We easily see 100% increase in disk use which extends for long periods of
time before anything gets cleaned up. This can be quite misleading and I
believe on a couple of occasions we seen short term full disk scenarios
during testing as a result of cleanup not happening entirely when it
should...

Terje