Your application isn't aware of Cassandra only Solr.

The idea of Solandra is to use Cassandra as a backend for Solr.
Solr has a distributed search mechanism already so by making Solr Cassandra
aware
it can auto-shard and manage distributed queries for you, with replication
and failover etc

As for examples the code comes with a demo app mentioned in the readme.

--
http://twitter.com/tjake