Sorry, I know this is long-winded but I just want to make sure before I go through the trouble to implement this since it's not something that can be reliably tested and requires in-depth knowledge about C* internals. But, this ultimately deals with concurrency control so anyone interested in that subject may want to try and answer this. Thanks!

I would like to know how to do a series of writes and reads such that I can tell definitively what process out of many was the first to create a unique flag column.

IOW, I would like to have multiple processes (clients) compete to see who is first to write a token column. The tokens start with a known prefix, such as "Token_" followed by the name of the process that created it and a UUID so that all columns are guaranteed unique and don't get overwritten. For example, Process A could create:

Token_ProcA_<UUID>

and process B would create:

Token_ProcB_<UUID>

These writes/reads are asynchronous between the two or more processes. After the two processes write their respective tokens, each will read back all columns named "Token_*" that exist (a slice). They each do this in order to find out who "won". The process that wrote the column with the lowest timestamp wins. The purpose is to implement a lock.

I think all that is required is for the processes to use QUORUM read/writes to make sure the final read is consistent and will assure each process that it can rely on what's returned from the final read and that there isn't an earlier write floating around somewhere. This is where the "happened-before" question comes in. Is it possible that Process A which writes it's token with a lower timestamp (and should be the winner), that this write may not be seen by Process B when it does it's read (which is after it's token write and after Process A wrote it's token), and thus conclude incorrectly that itself (Process B) is the winner since it will not see Process A's token? I'm 99% sure using QUORUM read/writes will allow this to work because that's the whole purpose, but I just wanted to double-check in case there's another detail I'm forgetting about C* that would defeat this.

Thanks!

P.S. I realize this will cost me in performance, but this is only meant to be used on occasion.