This really depends on your disks setup.

When you run iostat under high load, do you see a high number of r/s but the
rMB/s is not so great?

I usually use:

iostat -x -m sdb sdc 1 to monitor situation like this.

In my case my disk setup is the following:

OS --> /sda
Cassandra CommitLogs --> /sdb
Cassandra Data --> /sdc

My understanding is that during compaction cassandra does a lot of non
sequential readsa then dumps the results with a big sequential write.

Is your application mostly doing writes and little reads or the other way
around.

FR