If the commit log or data disk is full it's not possible for the server to
process any writes, the best it could do is perform reads. But reads may result
in a write due to read repair and will also need to do some app logging, so
IMHO it's really down / dead.

You should free space and restart the cassandra service. Restarting a cassandra
service should be something your installation can handle.

Is there something else I'm missing here ?

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton