On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Stephen Henderson <
stephen.hender...@cognitivematch.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ed/Aaron, that really helped a lot.
>

> Just to clarify on the question of writes (sorry, I worded that badly) - do
> write operations insert rows into the cache on all nodes in the replica set
> or does the cache only get populated on reads?
>

> Aaron – in terms of scale, our ultimate goal is to achieve 99% reads under
> 5ms (ideally <1ms) with upto 20,000 operations a second (split 60/40
> read/write) and upto 2 billion keys. That’s the 12-18 month plan at least,
> short-term we’ll be more like 1000 ops/sec and 10 million keys which I think
> cassandra could cope with comfortably. We’re currently working out what the
> row-size will be, but hoping to be under 2kb max.  Consistency isn’t
> massively important. Our use case is as a user-profile store for serving
> optimised advert-content with quite tight restrictions on response time, so
> we have say 10ms to gather as much data about a user as possible before we
> have to make a decision on which creative to serve. If we can read a profile
> from the store in this time we can serve a personalised ad with a higher
> chance of engagement so low-latency is key requirement.
>

> Edward – thanks for the link to the presentation slides. A bit off-topic,
> but have you ever had a look at CouchBase (previously “membase”)? It’s
> basically memcached with persistence, fault-tolerance and online scaling.
> It’s the main alternative platform we’re considering for this project and on
> paper it sounds perfect, though we have a few concerns about it (mainly lack
> of active community, another nosql platform to learn and general uncertainty
> over the upcoming 2.0 release). We’re hoping to do some stress test
> comparison tests between the two in the near future and I’ll try to post the
> results if they’re not too company-specific.
>

> Thanks again,
>
> Stephen

Wait membase is couchbase? I thought it was northscale? (I can not keep up).
It seems to have coordinators or masters.
http://www.slideshare.net/tim.lossen.de/an-introduction-to-membase
Any solution where all the read write traffic travels through a master I do
not believe to be scalable. Other solutions that use a master for
coordination election but read or write directly to nodes are "more"
scalable but more fragile.

Q. Why does every scalable architecture except Cassandra seem to have master
nodes ? :)

It is not in the YCSB so hard to say how fast it is or how well it
performs.