On 09/02/2011 11:30 AM, Sorin Julean wrote:
Hey,

 Currently I'm running Cassandra on Ubuntu 10.4 x86_64 in EC2.

I'm wondering if anyone observed a better performance / stability on other distros ( CentOS / RHEL / ...) or OS (eg. Solaris intel/SPARC) ? Is anyone running prod on VMs, not cloud, but ESXi or Solaris zones ? Is there love or hate :) ? Any storage best-practices on VM environments ? I like xfs ! Any observations on xfs / ext4 / zfs, from Cassandra usage perspective ?

Cheers,
Sorin

We are running 6 nodes in production on KVM virtual machines with Centos 6 as the host, and guest OS with and open JDK (I know sun JRE is reccomended) and cassandra 0.7.8. We have no problems with stability or performance.

We run no raid ext3 in LVM for file systems.

-Eric