Matthias,

This is an interesting problem.

I would consider using long's as the column type, where your column
names are evenly distributed longs in sort order when you first write
your list out.  So if you have items A and C with the long column
names 1000 and 2000, and then you have to insert B, it gets inserted
at 1500.  Once you run out of room between any two column name
entries, i.e 1000, 1001, 1002 entries are all taken at any spot in the
list, go ahead and re-write the list.

If your unencrypted data is uniformly distributed, you will have very
few collisions on your column names and should not have to re-write
the list to often.

If your lists are small enough, then you could use ints to save space,
but will then have to re-write the list more often.

Thanks,

Zach