Probably quite a few of them are coming from automatic retries by
phpcassa.  When working with counters, I recommend minimizing retries
and/or increasing timeouts.  Usually this means you want to use a separate
connection pool with different settings just for counters.

By the way, this advice applies to other clients as well.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>