to be blunt, this doesn't sound right to me, unless it's doing something rather more clever to manage the memory.

i mocked up a simple class containing a byte[], ByteBuffer and long, and the shallow size alone is 32 bytes. deep size with a byte[16], 1-byte bytebuffer and long is 132. this is a on a 64-bit jvm on win x64, but is consistent(ish) with what i've seen in the past on linux jvms. the actual code has rather more objects than this (it's a map, it has a pair, decoratedKey) so would be quite a bit bigger per key.