I do major companions and I have ran into bloom filters causing oom. One
trick I did was using nodetool to lower the size of row/key caches before
triggering the compact and raising them after companion finished. As
suggested running with spare heap is a very good idea it lowers the chance
of a stop the world garbage collection. Also less free space usually means
more memory fragmentation and causes your system to work harder CPU.

it is counter intuitive to leave "free memory"  because you want to get the
large caches etc, but the overhead gives more stability which in the end
gives better performance.