On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Yiming Sun <yiming....@gmail.com> wrote:

> 600 TB is really a lot, even 200 TB is a lot.  In our organization,
> storage at such scale is handled by our storage team and they purchase
> specialized (and very expensive) equipment from storage hardware vendors
> because at this scale, performance and reliability is absolutely critical.

Yep that's what we currently do. We have 200TB sitting on a set of high end
disk arrays which are running RAID6. I'm in the early stages of looking at
whether this is still the best approach.

> but it sounds like your team may not be able to afford such equipment.
>  600GB per node will require a cloud and you need a data center to house
> them... but 2TB disks are common place nowadays and you can jam multiple
> 2TB disks into each node to reduce the number of machines needed.  It all
> depends on what budget you have.

The bit I am trying to understand is whether my figure of 400TB/node in
practice for Cassandra is correct, or whether we can push the GB/node
higher and if so how high

cheers