The only way you could get the old value for a column would be to insert the column value, then flush, then insert the new column, then before compaction look at the old sstable.

If you insert the value twice in a row without a flush, the old value is gone, as it only exists in memtables (and in the commit log - of course).

Hopefully you want this information for learning purposes only, and aren't actually using this for real purposes.