It's the timestamps provided in the columns that do concurrency
control/conflict resolution. Basically, the newer timestamp wins.
For counters I think there is no such mechanism (i.e. counter updates are
not idempotent).

>From https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DataModel :

All values are supplied by the client, including the 'timestamp'. This

--
Filipe Gonçalves