> Also, I want to make sure, if Major compactions could only be done manually ?
Major compactions are the ones you run using nodetool

> Is the author referring to this time period as no minor compactions being
> triggered automatically ?

They minor compaction will be triggered less frequently because you will need
to run 4 compactions at the first size tier before one runs at the next. And so
on. Up to the point where you need to get another 3 files roughly the same size
as the one you got from the major compaction.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton