Another little question:

I just added some EBS volumes to the nodes that are particularly choked and I
am now running major compactions on those nodes (and all is well so far).  Once
everything gets back down to a normal size, can I move all the data back off
the ebs volumes?
something along the lines of:

nodetool –h localhost drain
<stop cassandra>
<remove ebs volumes from cassandra conf>
cp -r /recovery/* /mnt/data
<unmount/detatch/delete ebs volume>
<start cassandra>

Then add some more nodes to the cluster to keep this from happening in the
future.

I assume all the files stored in any of the data directories are all uniquely
named and cassandra won't really care where they are as long as everything it
wants is in it's data directories.

I was also thinking to copy my column families (using thrift or the like) to
fresh column families to undo any strangeness done by my major compactions,
then get rid of the old CFs once everything is hunkey-dory.

Luke