Not commenting on the GC advice but Cassandra memory usage has improved a lot
since that was written. I would take a look at what was happening and see if
tweeking Cassandra config helped before modifying GC settings.

> "GCInspector.java(line 88): Heap is .9934 full." Is this expected? or
> should I adjust my flush_largest_memtable_at variable.
flush_largetsmemtable_at is a a safety valve only. Reducing it may help avid
OOM, by it will not treat the cause.

What version are you using ?

1.0.0 had a an issue where deletes were not taken into consideration
(https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/CHANGES.txt#L33) but this does
not sound like the same problem.

Take a look in the logs on the machine and see if it was associated with a
compaction or repair operation.

I would also consider experimenting on one node with 8GB / 800MB heap sizes.
More is not always better.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton