I was able to apply the patch in the cited bug report to the public source for
version 1.1.2. It seemed pretty straightforward; six lines in
MigrationManager.java were switched from System.currentTimeMillis() to
FBUtilities.timestampMicros(). I then re-built the project by running 'ant
artifacts' in the cassandra root.

After I was up and running with the new version, I attempted to increase the
replication factor, and then the compressions options.

Unfortunately, new patch did not seem to help in my case. Neither of the schema
attributes would change. Running a "describe cluster" shows that all node
schemas are consistent.

Are there any other ways that I could potentially force Cassandra to accept
these changes?

        - .Dustin