Hi Dwight,

I can confirm that issue on my MBP under Mountain Lion.

Can you create a ticker at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA and
include the platform you are running on.

For reference the change was added by

The change is only relevant if you are running on Java 7. As a work around
change the relevant section of cassandra-env.sh to look like

#startswith () [ "${1#$2}" != "$1" ]

if [ "`uname`" = "Linux" ] ; then
    # reduce the per-thread stack size to minimize the impact of Thrift
    # thread-per-client.  (Best practice is for client connections to
    # be pooled anyway.) Only do so on Linux where it is known to be
    # supported.
    #if startswith "$JVM_VERSION" '1.7.'
    #then
    #    JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Xss160k"