On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 11:09 +0100, Andy Ballingall TF wrote:
> So my question is - if you were to build a new scalable project from
> scratch tomorrow sitting on top of Cassandra, which technologies would
> you select to serve HTTP requests to ensure you get:
>
> a) The best support from the cassandra community (e.g. timely updates
> of drivers, better stability)
> b) Optimal efficiency between webservers and cassandra cluster, in
> terms of the performance of individual requests and in the volumes of
> connections handled per second
> c) Ease of development and and deployment.
>
> What worked for you, and why? What didn't work for you?

We do almost everything in python, so our stack is basically
python-everywhere (with a bit of C and a bit of PHP).

If you're most comfortable in PHP, I'd suggest writing a data layer in
another language (Java or python) which handles the cassandra requests,
and then making requests back to that from PHP.

That's general advice for any scalable system though - the frontends are
stateless and can be scaled out horizontally (with caching if it fits
your requirements).

If you split your Data layer into parts that are stateless and parts
which aren't then you can load balance the horizontally scalable parts
of that layer using something like haproxy too if you need to.

Tim Wintle