Thanks Nick.

it would be nice to pack such work-arounds together with Cassandra, and
enable it with a command line arg in the start up script,  so that the
end-user has a more
smooth usage experience ----- we did spend some time before to debug the
ports issues, and find a trick for that.
I imagine a lot of users will have to go through the same process since
"closing all ports" is the default EC2 network security policy for most
companies. Or at least add a link for the fix in the installation wikis
such as
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_ami<https://webmail.iac.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=PLVE6taKpU--Dxw69WVEOtdUcArCWM8IUH6LBjdXcM7STlqwkARq8mA8Nva_mtGaSKmmva4pWxE.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.datastax.com%2fdocs%2f1.1%2finstall%2finstall_ami>

Yang