Hello:

I'm using DataStax Enterprise 2.1, which is based on Cassandra 1.0.10 from what
I can tell.  For my project, I perform a content build that generates a number
of SSTables using SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter. These are loaded using either
JMX or sstableloader depending on the environment.

I want to introduce a composite row key into some of the generated SSTables.
Also, I will be referring to these keys by using composite column names.

I can define the desired composite time and provide it to the
SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter constructor:

                List<AbstractType<?>> compositeList = new
ArrayList<AbstractType<?>>();
                compositeList.add(UTF8Type.instance)
                compositeList.add(UTF8Type.instance)
                compositeUtf8Utf8Type = CompositeType.getInstance(compositeList)

                articleWriter = new SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter(
                        cassandraOutputDir,
                        "IngenuityContent",
                        "Articles",
                        compositeUtf8Utf8Type,
                        null,
                        64)

I then figured I could use compositeUtf8Utf8Type when creating composite row
keys and column names of the kind I require.  Cassandra 1.1.x introduces the
CompositeType.Builder class for creating actual composite values, but that's
not available to me.  I've also  seen examples of using Hector's Composite to
create composite values.

But, I need to create these values using the various classes within Cassandra
1.0 itself to work with SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter. For that, I'm not finding
any examples on how one does that.

As far as I can tell, composite columns at least have been around since
Cassandra 0.8.x?  Is there the support I need in Cassandra 1.0.x?

Many thanks!

Jeff
--
Jeff Schmidt