This is actually another problem that we've encountered with Cassandra; the
range of platforms it can be deployed on is fairly limited. If you want to run
with Oracle's JRE (which is apparently recommended), you are pretty much stuck
with Linux on x86/64 (I haven't tried the new JDK on ARM yet, but it sounds
promising). You could probably do ok on Solaris, too, with a custom Snappy jar
and some JNA concessions.

        - .Dustin