On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Yang <teddyyyy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> some of my colleagues seem to use this method to backup/restore a cluster,
> successfully:
>
>> on each of the node, save entire /cassandra/data/ dir to S3,
> then on a new set of nodes, with exactly the same number of nodes,  copy
> back each of the data/ dir.
>
> then boot up cluster.

Yep, that works as long as the two clusters have the same tokens and
replication strategies.

> but I wonder how it worked: doesn't the system keyspace store information
> specific to the current cluster, such as my sibling nodes in the cluster, my
> IP ?? all these would change once you copy the "frozen" data files onto a
> new set of nodes.

Yes, for this reason you should not restore the system keyspace files
(except, optionally, "Schema".). Definitely you should not restore
LocationInfo. LocationInfo contains ip-to-token mappings. Also you
should make your target cluster have a unique cluster name, and the
old cluster name is also stored in LocationInfo...

=Rob

--
=Robert Coli
AIM&GTALK - rc...@palominodb.com