> As per datastax documentation, a manual compaction forces the admin to start
> compaction manually and disables the automated compaction (atleast for major
> compactions but not minor compactions )
It does not disable compaction.
it creates one big file, which will not be compacted until there are (by
default) 3 other very big files.

> 1. Does a nodetool stop compaction also force the admin to manually run major
> compaction ( I.e. disable automated major compactions ? )
No.
Stop just stops the current compaction.
Nothing is disabled.

> 2. Can a node restart reset the automated major compaction if a node gets
> into a manual mode compaction for whatever reason ?
Major compaction is not automatic. It is the manual nodetool compact command.
Automatic (minor) compaction is controlled by min_compaction_threshold and
max_compaction_threshold (for the default compaction strategy).

> 3. What is the ideal  number of SSTables for a table in a keyspace ( I mean
> are there any indicators as to whether my compaction is alright or not ? )
This is not something you have to worry about.
Unless you are seeing 1,000's of files using the default compaction.

>  For example, I have seen SSTables on the disk more than 10 days old wherein
> there were other SSTables belonging to the same table but much younger than
> the older SSTables (
No problems.

> 4. Does a upgradesstables fix any compaction issues ?
What are the compaction issues you are having ?

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand