The timestamp is the time the record was inserted into the Cassandra
node.  It's used for conflict resolution, so if two clients insert
different data into the same row/column, Cassandra can pick the
"winner" (most recent timestamp).

You can set it manually on insert, otherwise the node will pick the
current time for you (this is a major reason why you want all your
Cassandra nodes clocks synchronized via NTP by the way).  It's also
available to be read, but I don't recall any API available (Hector or
otherwise) which allows you to search based on the timestamp value.