After figuring out how to use the ">" operator on an secondary index I
noticed that in a column family of about 5.5 million datasets I get a
rpc_timeout when trying to read data from this table. In the concrete
situation I want to request data younger than January 1 2013. The
number of rows that should be affected are about 1 million. When doing
the request I get a timeout error:

cqlsh:demodb> select * from ola where date > '2013-01-01' and hour = 0
limit 10 allow filtering;
Request did not complete within rpc_timeout.

Actually I find this very confusing since I would except an
exceptional performance gain in comparison to a similar sql query.
Therefore, I think the query I'm performing is not appropriate for
cassandra, although I would do a query like that in this manner on a
sql database. So my question now is: How should I perfrom this query
on cassandra?