Hello,

I'm investigating the transition of some of our column families from Size Tiered -> Leveled Compaction. I believe we have some high-read-load column families that would benefit tremendously.

I've stood up a test DB Node to investigate the transition. I successfully alter the column family, and I immediately noticed a large number (1000+) pending compaction tasks become available, but no compaction get executed.

I tried running "nodetool sstableupgrade" on the column family, and the compaction tasks don't move.

I also notice no changes to the size and distribution of the existing SSTables.

I then run a major compaction on the column family. All pending compaction tasks get run, and the SSTables have a distribution that I would expect from LeveledCompaction (lots and lots of 10MB files).

Couple of questions:

1) Is a major compaction required to transition from size-tiered to leveled compaction? 2) Are major compactions as much of a concern for LeveledCompaction as their are for Size Tiered?

All the documentation I found concerning transitioning from Size Tiered to Level compaction discuss the alter table cql command, but I haven't found too much on what else needs to be done after the schema change.

I did these tests with Cassandra 1.1.9.

Thanks,
-Mike