What version are you using?

Sounds like you have configured it correctly. Did you restart the node after
changing the row_cache_size_in_mb ?
The changes in GC activity are not huge and may not be due to cache activity.
Have they continued after you enabled the row cache?

What is the output from nodetool info?

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant