From: a k <kumaramit.ex...@gmail.com<mailto:kumaramit.ex...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:46 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>"
<user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: commitlog -deleted keyspaces.

We are running a 4 node cluster version 1.1.0 and our commit logs seem to be
ever growing. We have a total about 250 GB per node in the keyspaces/column
families and the commit logs are at about 30 GB.There have been several
deletions of keyspaces in our setup and I am concerned about a few things.

First being the size of the commit logs, we have not modified the
"commitlog_total_space_in_mb" in yaml so I assume it is the default   4092MB,
We don't have "memtable_flush_after_mins" setting either.

Is this sane? Why would the size of the commit logs be so large (I am worried
about the startup time, when it has to replay the commit logs) and why would
the default size of 4092 MB not be enforced.

Would it cause us trouble when we upgrade to 1.2?

Another thing I have noticed is that upon restarts, the old keyspaces that were
deleted re-appear although with less data, I would imagine that has nothing to
do with the commit logs.

Can I safely delete the commitlogs after the nodetool flush?

Many thanks
Amit