I agree with Edward Capriolo,
Even when swap is enabled on your system, swaping rarely occurs on OS
today...(except for very loaded systems).

But, take care that some 32 bits system kernels allows only 2^32 bits
memory mapped file length ( ~ 2 Go ).
It could be a limitation for NoSQL databases. It's the case for MongoDB on
32 bits OS <http://blog.mongodb.org/post/137788967/32-bit-limitations>.

I don't know how to avoid swaping if Cassandra exceeds these limitation
when this case occurs.