> Just for clarification, why it is necessary to set the server rpc address to
> 127.0.0.1?
It's not necessary for it to be 127.0.0.1. But it is necessary for the server
to be listening for client connections (the rpc_address) on the same interface
/ IP you are trying to connect to.

In your case the error message said you could not find the server at 127.0.0.1,
so the simple thing to do is make sure the server is listening there.

You can set rpc_address to whatever you like (see the yaml) just make sure it's
the same address you are connecting to.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant