You can get away with a 1 to 2GB heap if you don't put too much pressure on
it.  I commonly run stress tests against a 400M heap node while developing
and I almost never see OutOfMemory errors, but I'm not keeping a close eye
on latency and throughput, which will be impacted when the JVM GC is
running nonstop.

Cassandra doesn't tend to become CPU bound, so an i3 will probably work
fine.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>