NREL has released their open source databus.  They spin it as energy data (and
a system for campus energy/building energy) but it is very general right now
and probably will stay pretty general.  More information can be found here

http://www.nrel.gov/analysis/databus/

The source code can be found here
https://github.com/deanhiller/databus

Star the project if you like the idea.  NREL just did a big press release and
is developing a community around the project.  It is in it's early stages but
there are users using it and I am helping HP set an instance up this month.  If
you want to become a committer on the project, let me know as well.

Later,
Dean