@aaron
Thanks for your reply. I did have a look rpm installed files
1.  /etc/alternatives/cassandra, it contains configuration files only.
    and .sh files are installed within /usr/bin folder.

Even if i try to run from extracted tar ball folder as

/home/impadmin/apache-cassandra-1.2.4/bin/cassandra -f

same error.

/home/impadmin/apache-cassandra-1.2.4/bin/cassandra -v

gives me 1.1.12 though it should give me 1.2.4

-Vivek
it gives me same error.