> I was watching some videos from the C* summit 2013 and I recall many people
> saying that if you can some up with a design where you don't preform updates
> on rows, that would make things easier (I believe it was because there would
> be less compaction).
No entirely true.

There will always be compaction. But if you do updates there are overwrites
which means there is data on disk that is irrelevant and is not released until
compaction get's to those files.

> Could old tomestombed data somehow come back to life?  I forget what scenerio
> brings about old data (kinda scary!).
If you don't run repair on every node every gc_grace_seconds there is a chance
of it happening.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant