Vnodes are a great feature. More nodes are involved during operations such
as bootstrap, decommission, etc.
DataStax documentation is definitely a must read.
That said, If I were you, I'd wait somewhat before to shuffle the ring.
I'd focus on cluster upgrade and monitoring the nodes. (number of files
handles, memory usage, latency, etc).
Upgrading from 0.8 to 1.2 can be tricky, there are so many changes since
then. Be careful about compaction strategies you choose and double check
the options.

Regards,
Romain