On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Nulik Nol <nulik...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Embedding the server will add *a lot* of complexity.
>
> that's a conjecture one would come at first sight, but if you analyze
> it , it is the opposite. Complexity increases with code, and
> communication between processes (like via socket or memory buffer)
> implies more code, so if you embed and call server objects directly,
> your code will be simpler.

Leaving aside the somewhat nonsensical result of applying this thinking to
computing in general...

... have you ever spoken with someone who has maintained such a large
patchset to a database?

The people I spoke with at the Cassandra Summit who had forked Cassandra
0.7 so that they could remove thrift and get maximum performance from their
patched version did in fact get improved performance. They also stuck
themselves on Cassandra 0.7 forever.

Complexity is not just measured in lines of code, it derives in part from
the maintainability of any given solution. In the open source world, this
means being able to rebase your forked project to track/merge with upstream.

=Rob