Ideally, you should get back pressure in the form of dropped messages
before you see crashes, but if turning down the heap allocation was the
only thing you did, there are other changes required (several mentioned by
Romain above are very good places to start).
A few other ideas:
- did you adjust ParNew along with heap?
- you may want to adjust SurvivorRatio and MaxTenuringThreshold (change
both to 4 as a starting point) in JVM
- definitely play with compaction throughput by turning it way up since you
have IO capacity

These will cause you to GC and compact continuously in this environment,
but it should at least keep going